Digital printing today has come a long way. Digital printing produces vibrant colours and life-like images of the highest quality. Digital printing is quick, convenient, cost-effective, and easy. That is why it is the most popular printing method today.
Digital printing eliminates the need for printing plates, secondary printing applications, and other long and messy preparations.
Three Types of Digital Printing
- Inkjet – uses heat to vaporise and disperse small droplets of ink onto the paper or any surface you wish to print on. It then forms a thin film made of 1-8 droplets depending on the shade required.
- Dye Sublimation – Uses heat transfer and is mostly used for textiles. The design or digital images are printed into heat-sensitive papers which are then pressed and heated to transfer the image onto the textile. Digital prints on textile yields true and vibrant results with consistent colour tones that can rival that of chemical photography quality.
- Laser Printing – laser printers do not use ink but a charged toner. The toner is charged electrostatically and is glued to a pattern that is lasered onto the surface of the drum and then transferred onto the paper as a print. It is then run through heated rollers to melt the toner and becomes permanently affixed to the paper.
Following is a list of materials that can be digitally printed on:
Different printing needs require different types of paper for best results. Here are some of the most popular types of digital printing papers:
- Inkjet Printing Paper – this type of paper is designed especially for inkjet printers to yield the best print quality. Inkjet papers come in photo, glossy, business card, and greeting card variants.
- Laser Printer Paper – this type of paper is designed for laser printing. This is used mostly for business purposes like printing mailing labels, documents, etc.
- Matte – this is one of the most common types of paper used for digital printing because the matte white coating helps dry the ink faster. This is ideal for everyday printing.
- Bright White – this paper is non-textured and much smoother which makes it ideal for high-quality printing. Bright white is good for double-sided printing as well. The brightness of the paper makes it possible for both sides of the paper to be printed on without the ink showing through on the other side.
- Glossy – this is the ideal paper for printing images or photographs rather than texts. The glossy surface absorbs the ink better creating a much higher clarity compared to matte and other papers. Glossy paper can produce brilliant colours and sharp images.
- Card Stock – card stock is thicker. It is strong and sturdy and does not easily become tattered. This is ideal for scrapbooking, business cards, postcards, etc.
- Resume – this paper is slightly heavier than the traditional paper and has an off-white appearance that features an ivory or cream tone. This is commonly used for printing CVs and other important documents.
Digital printing inks are the most versatile and produce high-quality prints on almost all kinds of textiles including:
- Other fabric materials
Digital printing on glass is more flexible compared to screen printing. There are two types of digital printing on glass:
- Digital UV Glass Printing – uses inorganic inks and ultraviolet light to dry the ink.
- Digital Ceramic Glass Printing – more popular and yields better results. It can reproduce the appearance of surface textures like wood grain or marble. At the same time, it provides unlimited potential to print any image, pattern, text, or graphics.
Plastic or plastic parts can be digitally printed on to. The most common plastics are the following:
- Rigid Vinyl
- Cast Vinyl
- Polystyrene Acrylic
- Label stocks
- Other plastic and plastic parts.
The possibilities of printing digitally on other materials are endless. Other substrates you can print on are:
- Many others
When choosing the right company for your digital printing needs, it is important that you know the type of materials you will use for the best results. But more than print quality, also look for a company that provides great customer service who is willing to help you from design through to printing and after-sales services as well.
With Impact Digital, we do not just provide the best digital printing services in Melbourne, we are also a 100% carbon neutral company. We have over 10 years of experience in delivering high-quality, fast turnaround, and environmentally sustainable printing.
If you are looking for the best quality digital printing with the most competitive prices, please contact us at Impact Digital today on (03) 9387 0999 or email us email@example.com